Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sepia Restaurant and Wine Bar

My husband and I, dined at Sepia Restaurant and Wine Bar, in Darling Park, Sydney, last night.

It was fantastic! We had a seven course Chef Tasting menu, with wines to match. Every course was exquisite- the way it was prepared and cooked; the way it was presented; the wines they had chosen to compliment each course; to the service of the staff.


Above is the Roasted Squab

Sepia seems to have a seafood influence (due to the collaboration between De Costi Seafoods, and Head Chef Martin Benn), and of course, this is fine for most people... but not for some one like me, who dislikes seafood.

However, I was most pleasantly surprised when dining at this restaurant. As we were with a group, the rest of our group had the set menu, which included a large quantity of seafood. For me, they gave me a separate menu, and catered every wine to the changed menu especially for me! I was so happy! Usually, if I ever eat at a seafood inspired restaurant, I generally only have one choice, so this sort of service and choice was completely unexpected, but very appreciated.



I am usually quite reluctant to try new kinds of meat or overly fancy foods, but every item on my menu was delicious, and well worth the plunge into the uncertain world! My favourite was probably the venison.


Above is the Roasted Duck Breast

Every person on our table left feeling very happy with our choice of venue, and I would recommend Sepia to anyone who appreciates gorgeous and interesting food, beautiful wines, fantastic service, and living it up a little!



The menu I had is outlined below. The wines that were matched with each course came from all over the world, including: Australia, France, Italy, Austria, USA, Spain, Greece, and my favourite was the dessert wine: 2006 Royal Tokaji Wine Company 'Ats Cuvee" Late Harvest Furmint from Tokaji, Hungary.


Amuse Bouche

Ballontine of Chicken, Pink Radish, Licorice Powder

Roasted Squab Salad, Confit Potato, Pickled Betroot, and Hazelnut Viniagrette

Chestnut Mushroom Risotto with Mustard Butter and Mushroom Essence

Pan Roasted Aylesbury Duck Breast, Caramelised Fennel, Fennel Candy, Pickled Walnuts, Walnut and orange Jus

Roast Loin of Gippsland Lamb, Crisp Lamb Belly, Braised Dakon, Jerusalem Artichoke, Mushroom Infusion

Seared Loin of Venison with Sansho Pepper, Caramelised Witlof Hearts, Meyer Lemon Puree, Caper and Celery Leaf Jus

Pre Dessert

Citrus Marshmallows, Pineapple Sorbet ,Mint Whip, Coriander Sprouts


This is one of the seafood courses that my Husband had.

No comments:

Post a Comment