Friday, October 23, 2009

Our Wedding Anniversary: Photos of my Wedding Dress


My hubbie and I recently celebrated our Wedding Anniversary! What better way to mark the occasion than to share a few photos of my dress from our wedding day...



I love re-looking through our wedding photos. I have recently framed a few, and placed them on our bedroom walls- as soon as I wake up, I see them, and they always make me happy.

My Mum and I made the entire wedding dress. We hand stitched on every single last bead! It took us months to bead it all- but every time I look at my dress, I believe it was worth it!



As soon as we became engaged, I knew exactly the kind of dress I wanted- strapless with a fishtail.

I started off with the basic shape in mind, then the design evolved from there. I wanted beading/embellishment that was obvious- something a little bit Art Deco/Art Noveau to match the gorgeous ring my Husband chose for me.




I found a lace that suited the theme, which featured a fleur-de-lis motif, so I used this to inspire the rest of the design. The shape of the fleur-de-lis is mirrored in the contrasting panelling, as well as the large flower motifs that have been beaded down the side panels.



I decided to have a button back (with the corset inside the dress), and when it came to buttons, I had initially planned fabric covered... then my Mum discovered some buttons that my Grandmother had given her. They were old crystal buttons- that were just gorgeous! There wasn't enough to match, but I didn't care. I thought it would be a nice addition to the dress, and it really would make it special-something no one else would have!



I used silver diamantes and silver glass beads as the main beading, as the engagement ring was made from platinum and diamonds. I knew that I would wear my strand of antique pearls and earrings (another present from my hubbie!) with my dress, so I added pearls to the beading to create a more subtle line between the diamante and silk.




I added the lace to the edge of the train, at the back, as well as one motif each to the centre front and centre back (where the panels join at the knees). Lines of silver beads and tiny pearls were beaded down towards the train hem where the lace sits.




The hat/fascinator I wore on the day, was made by myself- using fabric and beads left over from the dress.


I also made a faux fur stole to go with the look!






We took photos in front of the Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge.


It really is hard to describe and take photos that do the dress justice! I hope you like the few photos I have included from the day.

Follow me on twitter or facebook for more updates of my latest designs and finds!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You are one chic, elegant, classy lady and bride. Those photos (especially your dress and head piece) are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Deb, I love having an excuse to look at the photos from the day and my dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post - wedding dress photos ..Keep Posting


    Ron
    wedding dress photos

    ReplyDelete