Sunday, April 4, 2010

Meet the Photographer: Anna Leshchinskaya from Fotografika

The following interview was placed in the April 2010 edition of the Penelope Red newsletter. I thought it would be nice to share it with you all here as well. If you would like to receive the Penelope Red newsletter, please email me at: designer@penelopered.com.au



Anna Leshchinskaya, from Fotografika is the very talented photographer who created the images for “The Venus, Penelope and Jane Collection”, and I wanted to introduce you all to her, via a mini interview. All the images below and more can be viewed on the Fotografika website: http://www.fotografika.com.au/



Tell us a little about your background.

I was born in Siberia and worked as a lawyer in Moscow before my husband and I moved to Sydney two years ago. Despite this fact, I've always had my creative self, competing with the logical side; when I was younger I danced ballet for 7 years and studied art. When I quit law a few years ago, I went back to fine art studies and drawing, and the latter gives me complete enjoyment.

Why did you decide to study photography and start your business?

Photography, travel photography in particular, has always been a hobby. After my daughter was born, she became my No 1 model, and gradually I started shooting more people. I believe that people are the most powerful subject for an artist, because it keeps us wondering what lies behind their expression.

I realised that doing photography professionally would be a perfect career change. My time is now evenly divided between the family and doing what I love. In fact, photography is closer to my drawing hobby than we may think, meaning literally "painting with the light".





What are you working on now?

Now that I have my absolute passion enclosed in documenting a person’s life and real emotions; I photograph kids and families, private and corporate events, graduation and weddings.


Another exciting project that I am currently working on is the utterly seductive Venus, Penelope and Jane Collection for PenelopeRED. Fashion photography is very challenging because it requires a lot more from the photographer than just capturing the moment. It also requires a theatrical vision of the whole scene and certain skills of a sculptor to work with a model. This is why I am really looking forward to starting a fashion photography course with one of Sydney’s famous photographers, Hamish Ta-me.

What are your plans for the future?

I am fascinated by the documentary approach in photography and I am planning to study and work more in environmental portraiture and photojournalism.



You may have a special event coming up, where you may need a photographer. You can contact Anna on the following:

Website: http://www.fotografika.com.au/
Email: enquiries@fotografika.com.au
Phone: 0420 99 75 76

Take a look at more of Anna's work on the Penelope Red website:
The Red Silk Road Collection
The Red Look Collection

Follow me on twitter or facebook for more updates of my latest designs and finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment