Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Paths to Abstraction Exhibit at the Art Gallery of NSW

A market buddy, Naomi, and I decided to visit the Art Gallery of NSW yesterday. It is always nice to get some fresh inspiration, so when Naomi suggested this exhibit I didn't know what to expect, but I loved it!



The above images were taken from the Art gallery of NSW website. 1st image: Patrick Henry Bruce "Painting". 2nd image: Frantisek Kupka "Discs of Newton".

So many great artists and recognisable artworks in the one exhibition: Cezanne, Duchamp, Kandinsky, Malevich, Matisse, Mondrian, Monet, Munch, Picasso, Whistler. There are approx 40 different artist's work on display.

I wanted to share with you a few of my favourites:


Unfortunately this is the only image I could find on the web of the above artwork. It is by Sonia Delaunay, "Dancer, second version 1916". The colours and the proportions of these colours together are simply beautiful! I love using artworks to inspire my colour combinations, as artwork is already proof that the colours work together.

Naomi, who is the designer of Mae and Pearl, and she also designs her own prints, mentioned that she might use the above artwork as inspiration for a print. I hope she does! I would love it!!

Well worth the visit to see this in its real-life format.



Above, Robert Delaunay's "Nude woman reading". I LOVE the colours in this work too.


Naomi and I out the front of the art gallery. Such beautiful weather for mid winter!


There were many more artworks that I loved, so you will just have to visit the exhibit to see for yourself! Piet Mondrian's "Zomernacht", Andre Derain's "Banks of the Seine at Bougival", and Morgan Russell's "Four Part Synchromy, no 7" just to name a few.

Viewing this exhibit has given me a few ideas for my Summer collection, so I can't wait to start it!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I'm going. Abstract is usually not my thing.... but the pictures you've picked look beautiful. I love a day at the gallery!
    xx L

    ReplyDelete