Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Harry Potter book series

I recently finished reading the entire Harry Potter book series- books one through to seven.

I know this may seem a little odd to talk about it here, but even if you are not into fantasy anyone should read them just to admire the pure creative talent that is J.K Rowling.

I love all things creative (well, mostly all) and these books are simply amazing. Imagine creating an entire world of your own, complete with language, characters, animals, and then making an engaging story last the distance of seven books.

I guess the closest comparison in this respect is The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Dare I say it.... I think Harry Potter is better. The Rings books rambled on a little too much for me, and I think the Potter books is something that more of us can relate to, as they are all about real people that just happen to be wizards.

Perhaps the anti-Harry-Potters out there don't realise is that the books aren't just a fantasy, they are really more like mystery novels. Unfortunately the movies have missed this crucial piece of magic about the books, so don't expect the books to be like the movies. The books are so much better!



It is hard to pick a favourite out of them all, as books four (and the Goblet of Fire), six (and the Half Blood Prince) and seven (and the Deathly Hallows) are very close to being my favourites equally. If I had to choose, probably number seven, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows; the reason being every mystery is explained.

Note that the first two books are not the best, so they are a little tough to get through, but they are short, and important for the overall saga.

I am even going to go as far as saying that so far, the Harry Potter series is my favourite book series I have so far ever read. I am comparing that to the Twilight saga (which I love); to Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series (The Da Vinci Code, etc); to The Lord of The Rings, to Bryce Courtenay's The Power of One and Tandia, and to Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum novels. I love all of the above, but Harry stands out amongst them to me. Yes, my taste in books is certainly eclectic to say the least!

So, if you ever have some spare reading time, I recommend them. Just read them with an open mind, and they will truly surprise you!

No comments:

Post a Comment