Thursday, February 3, 2011

Creating the new Autumn Collection Part 3: A New Jacket Style


The very latest Penelope Red design is a new jacket style. This style is completely different to all of my other jackets and coats, having a fitted bust and waist area, centre front meets edge to edge, 3/4 sleeve with contrasting detail, and a full flared hip with contrasting detail. The jacket hem will sit around your hips.

I have tken a few photos and wanted to share them with you...


Above and below, sewing the contrasting panel into the sleeve.


When I create the Penelope Red wool coats and jackets, I use interfacing instead of fusing. It is a much better product, it creates a higher quality finish, and I feel it looks better too. You can see the interfacing in the next two pictures.

Below, the inside of the back...



...and the inside of the front.



Sewing the hip area to the waist, and below, sewing the sleeve to the body.



I always like to use contrasting lining- it is more exciting that way! Above, I am sewing the lining together.


When I create wool coats and jackets, I always make sure I clip and trim the seam allowances- this creates a much better quality finish.


Above, you can see the inside of the jacket as I am sewing the hooks and eyes onto the centre front.

This jacket has been made from a brown, cream, yellow and orange wool boucle for the main fabric, a brown wool twill for the contrasting and orange silk for the lining.

I haven't even named this design yet! I am currently in the middle of organising the photo shoot for the Autumn collection, where this jacket will take centre stage- so really looking forward to this range coming together!

No comments:

Post a Comment