Thursday, July 7, 2011

Inspiration for the Penelope Red Spring Summer Collection 2011-2012



Every time I start a new collection, I like to think of a theme, or an inspiration that captures my imagination. For a long time I have been envisaging this idea in my head, and I really just can't wait to see it happen before my eyes when the photo shoot is taking place.

As I design, I first like to think about what the whole look and feel of the photo shoot will be about- I guess this is a starting point, and then I work backwards.

I also like to try and mix inspirations together, so I can come up with something original.

The first inspiration, picured above is of a painting by Eugene-Auguste Francois Deully. Unfortunately there is not a lot of information on the net about this artist, and even when I look up the painting, it has two separate names. I will go by the name of "The Flower Seller".



I liked "The Flower Seller" because it has many beautiful colours, it has a pretty scene, and I think it is a fun, optimistic painting- something that I want the photo shoot to be about.

My textile agent also happened to be selling a lot of floral fabrics, and I thought they would go perfectly with this inspiration.






The other inspiration so far is Marie Antoinette. I guess a lot of people will presume it is becuase I liked the movie of the same name, starring Kirsten Dunst. I agree that the costumes and scenery was amazing, but the actual movie itself was not my kind of film.

I guess I am more inspired by the colours, the decadence, and after visiting the place in which she grew up, in Austria, who wouldn't be inspired!?



So, I now need to take all of this inspiration, colours, ideas, fabrics, and make it into a modern Penelope Red collection! Not an easy task, but I am looking forward to the challenge!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Penelope, The floral prints are gorgeous can't wait to see what you will create with them and know I will want want want, love it! have fun Lorelle xx

    ReplyDelete