Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Picasso Exhibition at the Art Gallery of NSW and my Inspiration for the Autumn/Winter Collection 2012

Last week I was in desperate need of some inspiration and motivation. My husband suggested that I visit the art gallery, and I remembered that there is a Picasso Exhibition on at the Art Gallery of NSW in Sydney. It was the perfect excuse to go!

I have to admit, I have never really been a huge fan of Picasso, and if given the choice, I would much rather see an exhibition on antiques, ceramics or classical paintings, rather than most modern artists. This being said, I still enjoyed seeing this exhibition, and since then it has given me some ideas!!!

I personally really enjoyed the brighter paintings, e.g. "Portrait of Dora Maar" (image below), where Picasso used lots of yellow, purple, red, green, blue, and heavy black outlines.



It just so happened that the outfit I was wearing that day was in very similar colours to this painting- so I guess it was meant to be that I would like this one!



Another painting I really enjoyed was "Large still-life on a pedestal table". Again because of its bright colours.




I have been thinking about my upcoming Autumn Winter 2012 Collection, and I think a little Picasso inspiration will be just the thing to blend with my Ballet Russe inspiration! I could imagine a lot of assymetrical lines, bright colours against black, and geometric shapes as my Picasso influence. Then I would add ideas of embroidery, trims, fur, and some special Russian vintage buttons that I have collected to the mix. I can't wait!!!

The images of the Picasso paintings in this post are from the Art Gallery NSW website. I encourage everyone who is interested in the creative arts to visit the exhibition while these masterpieces are close enough to our shores!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Penny, Looks like you will be getting lots of inspiration from the art exhibit. So winter will be exciting lovin the look of the materials so far have fun creating luv loz xx

    ReplyDelete